Remote office logon script - Long Delay
Sean
2008-01-07 18:06:01 UTC
I am running SBS 2003 (not premium) and have a remote server (win 2003) at a
remote office. The offices are link through two Sonicwall devices through a
VPN tunnel. The remote office connection is a 640K DSL and is slow, but works
for the 3 employees.

I am experiencing an extremely long delay running the logon script file.
Seems the setup.exe file may be the culprit. My script has only two lines but
takes almopst 10 minutes to complete.

\\SERVER\Clients\Setup\setup.exe /s PHXSERVER
\\SERVER\ezaudit\ezstart /auto

I can watch the scripts progress and the setup line is the long delay. No
error messages are displayed, just seems to take too long.

Any guidance on how to improve performance? My local systems are done in
10-15 seconds.

Thanks in advance.
Sean
kj [SBS MVP]
2008-01-07 20:52:01 UTC
Post by Sean
I am running SBS 2003 (not premium) and have a remote server (win
2003) at a remote office. The offices are link through two Sonicwall
devices through a VPN tunnel. The remote office connection is a 640K
DSL and is slow, but works for the 3 employees.
I am experiencing an extremely long delay running the logon script
file. Seems the setup.exe file may be the culprit. My script has only
two lines but takes almopst 10 minutes to complete.
\\SERVER\Clients\Setup\setup.exe /s PHXSERVER
\\SERVER\ezaudit\ezstart /auto
I can watch the scripts progress and the setup line is the long
delay. No error messages are displayed, just seems to take too long.
Any guidance on how to improve performance? My local systems are done
in 10-15 seconds.
Thanks in advance.
Well my first take would be that the remotes might be having trouble;

a) resolving "PHXSERVER" back to the SBS server.
-or-
b) the clientsetup program "setup.exe" is passing suffecient data across the
link to slow things down.

...and I suppose it could be a combination or something else altogether.

How did you setup (/connectcomputer?) the remote clients? Can you do a
ipconfig/all from a local client and one from the remote and post the
results?
/kj
Sean
2008-01-07 21:17:01 UTC
My first thought was DNs, but no erros or problems browsing/accessing
netwoprk resources. Users are on the systems at the moment, so I'll post an
IPConfig log as soon as I can.

This remote server was built using connect computer script, and is a GC/AD
server with DNS and DHCP for it's area.

Copying large files can be a real burden to the network, but no more than I
would expect for the bandwidth that is available.

Is there anything that can be done for setup.exe to improve it's
performance? Copy the folder?
--
Sean
/kj
kj [SBS MVP]
2008-01-07 21:29:55 UTC
Post by Sean
My first thought was DNs, but no erros or problems browsing/accessing
netwoprk resources. Users are on the systems at the moment, so I'll
post an IPConfig log as soon as I can.
This remote server was built using connect computer script, and is a
GC/AD server with DNS and DHCP for it's area.
Ah, that makes a *big* difference, or at least it can.

Is the remote server (DC) setup as a seperate AD site with the subnets
properly defined?

Is your intersite replication working properly? (you need to change the
Intersite Messagind service on the SBS server to "Startup: Automatic")

Do you have a second WINS server and if so, is it configured for push/pull
replication to the SBS one?

With a second DHCP server and scope, are the remote workstation getting DNS
only from the local server or is the SBS server set as #2?

Setup.exe isn't a large file but it may be generating a fair amount of
network traffic in it's execution. If everything else is configured and
working properly and you don't plan on the SBS server distributing
applications (from the SBS server) you might want to configure the login
script not to do this for the remote site.
/kj
Sean
2008-01-07 21:39:02 UTC
I belive the AD site and subnets are configured correctly. Nothing is showing
in the logs and replication is occuring regularly and without error.

DHCP is working correctly and seems to be keeping to it's assigned subnet
for each location.

I do not have WINS configured for the remote site, only the primary
location. I thought most apps aren't using WINS for anything much anymore.
Should this be configured?

Intersite messaging is set to Auto, I think I had to do this initially to
get the replication to work.

I don't push apps out to the clients and other than GPOs I don't do much but
serve files to the clients and mail. So setup.exe may not be needed?
--
Sean
/kj
kj [SBS MVP]
2008-01-07 21:54:35 UTC
Post by Sean
I belive the AD site and subnets are configured correctly. Nothing is
showing in the logs and replication is occuring regularly and without
error.
DHCP is working correctly and seems to be keeping to it's assigned
subnet for each location.
I do not have WINS configured for the remote site, only the primary
location. I thought most apps aren't using WINS for anything much
anymore. Should this be configured?
Intersite messaging is set to Auto, I think I had to do this
initially to get the replication to work.
I don't push apps out to the clients and other than GPOs I don't do
much but serve files to the clients and mail. So setup.exe may not be
needed?
Used when you 'setup client computers' or 'setup client applications'. setup
looks for any changes and if it finds any then proceses what is needed. So,
you should be safe in turning this off for existing remote site users and
workstation.

WINS still has some uses, but not many. If your remote site is otherwise
working, I'd be inclined to wait for a reason to add WINS to the remote
site.
/kj
Sean
2008-01-07 22:03:03 UTC
OK,
I'll REM out the line for setup for now and watch what happens. The users
grumble about the delay, but I tell them it's their first "free" break and to
stop complaining or we'll make them clock out while waiting ;)

Thanks for the help, I'll post my findings in the morning.
--
Sean
/kj
kj [SBS MVP]
2008-01-07 22:09:41 UTC
Post by Sean
OK,
I'll REM out the line for setup for now and watch what happens. The
users grumble about the delay, but I tell them it's their first
"free" break and to stop complaining or we'll make them clock out
while waiting ;)
Note that if you REM out the line it will prevent it from running for all
users, including new ones. You might want to copy the existing login script
to a new name, REM it out in the new one, then change the logon script
property in the remote users to use the new one.

That way you won't break any SBS functionality for anyone else, especially
for new users who will need setup.exe to run at least the first time.
/kj
Sean
2008-01-07 22:17:01 UTC
Thanks!
I actually did mean to do it that way, probably should have said it. Thanks
for your help and I'll post my results in the morning.
--
Sean
/kj
kj [SBS MVP]
/kj
Sean
2008-01-08 14:29:00 UTC
Ok,
I installed and configured WINS and saw no noticeable change in the time it
takes to run the logon script. Figured it was worth a try.....

Here is my IPCONFIG dump from an affected system, (Domain name changed to
"domain".....

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : C80P5D1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Domain.local
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : DOMAIN.local
domain.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-A0-23-40-AA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
192.168.1.100
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 07, 2008 10:10:29 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:10:29 PM

If I point the User's profile to a script that doesn't contain the
setup.exe, the script completes in 15-20 seconds (Which I can live with).
This mornings timed event was 1 minute 12 seconds (Which is too long).

Anything I need to remember if I keep setup.exe REM'd out? I'l forget I did
it in a week ;)
--
Sean
Post by Sean
/kj
kj [SBS MVP]
PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 15, 2008
10:10:29 PM
If I point the User's profile to a script that doesn't contain the
setup.exe, the script completes in 15-20 seconds (Which I can live
with). This mornings timed event was 1 minute 12 seconds (Which is
too long).
1:12 isn't an unexpectedly long time given the network bandwidth you have.
Might be unexectable, but then you aren't likely to use the setup
functionality remotely after the first time.
Post by Sean
Anything I need to remember if I keep setup.exe REM'd out? I'l forget
I did it in a week ;)
Assign client applications wizard. If you don't do it, then you won't need
it (for existing users). New users (properly created with the wizard) will
get the unmodified sbs_logon_script (do not modify this copy, only copy and
modify the copy)
Post by Sean
Post by Sean
/kj