Trend CSM 3.0 will not push to XP clients
Gregg Hill
2005-11-24 18:16:49 UTC
Hello!

I have contacted Trend tech support with this issue, but no solution has
been found yet.

I recently installed Trend Micro CSM 3.0 on SBS 2003 SP1 with ISA 2004, and
I am trying to remotely install to XP Pro SP2 clients using the Dashboard >
Security Settings > Add Computer > Remote Install method. I was trying to
install to an XP Pro SP2 client with the Microsoft Firewall client installed
so it would work with the ISA 2004 on SBS. My first attempt to use the
remote install method popped up a prompt asking for the username and
password. It does the same thing trying to install to an XP Pro SP2 client
without the Microsoft Firewall client (ISA 2004) running.

If I enter the domain admin username and password, or any other
administrator name and password, I get an error that states, "Remote
installation unsuccessful. The username and/or password may be invalid, or
the target computer is running Windows XP using simple file sharing. Confirm
the username and password. If the target computer is running Windows XP,
disable simple file sharing." I searched Trend's knowledge base and found
that exact error, although for version 2.0. The "solution" was to use the
"domain\username" format when trying to add a desktop using the Dashboard >
Security Settings > Add Computer > Remote Install, yet it still will not
install. If I use domain\administrator and the password, I get an error
stating that "hillservices\administrator does not have administrator
privileges" in spite of the fact that I use the Domain Admin account. I have
tried it with other domain admin accounts as well, and they also fail.

Trend's response was, in part, "To solve the issue please type in the
username on the user field without the domain. Please don't use the format
domain\user or computername\user. Just type in the user and password." That
did not work, and it was the first method I tried anyway. They also said to
"... disable simple file sharing...make sure the C$ of the client is
accessible from the server, verify that file and printer sharing is
installed on the client and turn off any firewalls in between."
If I use the username only and not domain\username format, I get a "Security
Server Management Console" error popup that states, "Remote installation
unsuccessful. The username and/or password may be invalid, or the target
computer is running Windows XP using simple file sharing. Confirm the
username and password. If the target computer is running Windows XP, disable
simple file sharing."

I got this error the first time I tried a remote installation. I searched
the knowledge base, and found
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=19831
which, although it is for version 2.0, has the identical error message. That
is why I tried the domain\username format, which resulted in the error I
first reported ("hillservices\administrator does not have administrator
privileges").

The XP Pro stations' firewalls are off, simple file sharing is unchecked,
file and printer sharing is installed, I can browse from the server to the
C$ share on the workstations, and no other firewalls or AV software are
present. It does the same thing on another workstation running XP Pro SP2,
also.

Anybody else have this problem with Trend Micro CSM 3.0?

Thank you for your time!

Gregg Hill
Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]
2005-11-24 18:49:04 UTC
Can you log on to the remote computer via RDP?

If so, then do that and browse to the ofcscan share on the server and run
autopcc.exe.

Or, browse to the security dashboard at http(s)://<servername> or
<ip>/SMB/Console/html/cgi/cgiChkMasterPwd.exe <:port> and click on the
'click here to install' link. The stuff in brackets is specific to what
selections you made when you installed.

Or, send the user a link to the above URL via email. You can copy and paste
the url from the console when you're

Or, put \\<servername>\ofcscan\autopcc.exe into the logon script for the
domain.

Or, send the above URL to the user via email.
--
Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]
SBS Rocks !
Gregg Hill
Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]
Gregg Hill

Gregg Hill
2005-11-25 21:37:00 UTC
Les,

Yes, I could install it any of the ways you suggested (I ended up using
login script method), but I am trying to figure out why it does not work as
it is designed to do.

Gregg Hill
Gregg Hill
Theo
Gregg Hill
Gregg Hill
2005-11-25 21:39:45 UTC
Theo,

I have tried it both ways.

If I use domain\administrator and the password, I get an error stating that
"hillservices\administrator does not have administrator privileges" and If I
enter only the domain admin username and password, or any other

Gregg Hill
Skip Shean
2005-11-28 20:42:41 UTC
FWIW, I'm having exactly this same issue.
Post by Gregg Hill
Theo,
I have tried it both ways.
Gregg Hill
j***@gmail.com
2005-11-29 03:53:45 UTC
I am also experiencing the same problem hosting "Client/Server Security
for SMB", Version 3.0, Build 1030 on a Windows 2003 server and trying
to push to Windows XP clients using the Security Dashboard.

I setup a small test group to eliminate possibilities. This does not
work under the following conditions:
-Simple filesharing is turned off
-Windows firewall is turned off
-I even setup an administrator account with a short password
-Tried domain admin accounts as domain\username and just usernarname
-Tried local admin accounts as computername\username and just username
-Windows 2003 server is not running any firewalls

Stuff I have not eliminated yet:
-Could it be an issue between the trend micro product and XP SP2?
-Could it be some security feature on Windows 2003 server tripping up
the trend micro product?
-Simply a bug in the product?
Gregg Hill

-Simply a bug in the product?
Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]
2006-01-02 18:56:21 UTC
I haven't tried this - but perhaps these will help?

http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=26888&id=26888

http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=26964&id=26964
-Simply a bug in the product?
Gregg Hill
2006-01-02 20:28:43 UTC
Les,

Neither one of those links has the solution. The problem is that at step six
of the remote install procedure, when I attempt to log in to the computer to
which I want to remotely install the agent, it fails.

If I enter the domain admin username and password, or any other
administrator name and password, I get an error that states, "Remote
installation unsuccessful. The username and/or password may be invalid, or
the target computer is running Windows XP using simple file sharing. Confirm
the username and password. If the target computer is running Windows XP,
disable simple file sharing." I searched Trend's knowledge base and found
that exact error, although for version 2.0. The "solution" was to use the
"domain\username" format when trying to add a desktop using the Dashboard >
Security Settings > Add Computer > Remote Install, yet it still will not
install. If I use domain\administrator and the password, I get an error
stating that "hillservices\administrator does not have administrator
privileges" in spite of the fact that I use the Domain Admin account. I have
tried it with other domain admin accounts, and local admin accounts as well,
[...]

Other people are having the same problem.

Installation via the web browser link or logon script works fine. I need to
be able to do a push installation just the same as I can with Symantec
Antivirus Corporate Edition.

Thank you for your help!

Gregg Hill
-Simply a bug in the product?
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
2006-01-02 21:06:49 UTC
I wonder... On the remote XP Pro machine:

Local Security Policies
Network Access: Sharing and Security Model for Local Accounts
Set to: Classic - Local users authenticate as themselves
--
Merv Porter [SBS MVP]
===================================
Post by Gregg Hill
[...]
account. I have tried it with other domain admin accounts, and local admin
-Simply a bug in the product?
Gregg Hill
2006-01-02 22:15:02 UTC
Yes, that was one of Trend's suggestions and I confirmed it is so. I could
do a push install just fine when I had Symantec Antivirus Corporate on the
network, but for some reason Trend's product fails.

Gregg
-Simply a bug in the product?
w***@gmail.com
2006-01-25 06:59:37 UTC
Having the same problem, only our workforce all use Laptops, so they
generally don't log off/on, which rules out the logon script.

Try getting people to install via email, doesn't work, you end up
having to go around and stand over them to get them to do it.

Good one Trend!!

EG
Gregg Hill
2006-01-25 08:49:29 UTC
If they are domain computers, they would get the script.

You could just send an email and tell them it is a free music player or cute
little screen saver. That way they would be guaranteed to install it!

All they have to do is run autopcc.exe from the server's share. There are no
prompts after that.

It still should work as advertised, though. What a pain in the butt!

Gregg Hill
EG
j***@gmail.com
2006-01-27 16:08:29 UTC
I've been buggered by this one too. The only way I've been able to get
around it is to change the permissions for the user that IIS uses for
anonymous access on the OfficeScan web site. In my case, this was
IUSR_ServerName, and active directory user. It appears that when trend
tries to access the client machine, it tries to impersonate the user
that you type into the administrator account dialogue. But if the
underlying anonymous access user doesn't have rights to impersonate, it
fails. I'm not totally sure how this works, but after I changed the
user, I could install clients.

Another problem I found was that after the clients were installed, they
couldn't get updates from the security server. I got around this by
changing the directory security for the OfficeScan/OfficeScan virtual
directory, unchecking the Require SSL box. My clients could then
retrieve updates from teh server. In my case, this was ok because this
site is not accessible from outside the network firewall, but you'll
have to decide if that's the case for your environment.

Hope this helps.
Gregg Hill

Hope this helps.
Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP]
2006-01-02 21:39:47 UTC
It's annoying that it doesn't work ... but I generally don't spend much time
trying to get trend things to go. Reason being, once it's installed it's
pretty well maintenance free - so fiddling a bit to get it installed is a
one-time expenditure. That would be the only reason I'd tolerate it ;-).

The workarounds (which you probably know already) are:

a) send the users a link by email
b) edit the login script (temporarily, until the clients are all installed).