WMI Problems
j***@cyberdude.com
2006-10-18 19:16:42 UTC
I recently upgraded the hardware in my SBS 2003 computer and did a
repair install of the OS to load a new HAL for the multi-cpu processor.
When the repair was done, the WMI service wouldn't even start. I
spent 6hrs with Microsoft to get the process to run, so the server
would function, but there are still WMI issues. Here are the symptoms:

In Server Management under Backup: "The success or failure of this
backup could not be confirmed. Ensure the Windows Management
Instrumentation service is started and try to backup again."

In Group Policy Management When I click on WMI Filters: "Invalid
Namespace"

Monitoring and Reporting never gathers information: "No Performance
data is available at this time. Performance data is collected hourly."

Get userenv errors:
1065
"Windows cannot perform filter check for Group Policy object
CN={5C2BCBF4-111F-4538-BB13-2B5B328B3E66},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=domain,DC=local.
Group Policy processing aborted."
1065
"Windows cannot perform filter check for Group Policy object
CN={B9A6FC54-1926-45BB-AB01-786C70267D38},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=domain,DC=local.
Group Policy processing aborted."

These two group policies mentioned correspond to:
Small Business Server Windows Firewall
Small Business Server Internet Connection Firewall

1030
"Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the
event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine
that describes the reason for this."

Please note that I already performed a full reinstall of WMI with
Microsoft. Also, all my client machines are working with no errors.

Thanks for your help.
unknown
2006-10-19 03:10:26 UTC
You may need to reinstall the related components that the error messages
relate to, namely the reporting function and the firewall. Reinstall
reporting by re-running the configure wizard on the reporting page, firewall
(I think) is in the windows components of Add/Remove control panel.

I take it that WMI started...were there errors?

John H
Teambgroup, Chicago
Ping me for email

Don't be fooled by imatations... insist on 100% natural Spam... promotes
network decay and server malnutrition
Thanks for your help.
Iverson Xue [MSFT]
2006-10-19 07:36:39 UTC
Hi Jasonegli,

Thank you for posting here. I am Iverson and I'm glad to be working with
you on this post.

From the description I understand you have encountered several problems
after enabling WMI service. Is this correct?

Before we go further, please understand that our public newsgroup is an
issue based service, meaning we usually respond to one question/issue per
post. This will lessen the confusion for both of us, as well as ensure that
our results are accurate and not a result of a test for a different
question. Therefore, I will work with you on the first question in this
post:

In Server Management under Backup: "The success or failure of this backup
could not be confirmed. Ensure the Windows Management Instrumentation
service is started and try to backup again."

Regarding the additional questions, please open up new posts so that other
people can help you on it in a more efficient manner. I appreciate your
understanding on this.

Meanwhile, let's begin our troubleshooting:

First, can you help me to gather the following information:

Info 1. Open Computer Management, expand Services and Applications,
right-click WMI Control and click Properties. On the General tab, do you
see any error?

Info 2. Can you run Ntbackup on SBS successfully? ( Click
Start->Run->Ntbackup)

Info 3. Can you run SBS Backup successfully?(Under Server Management)

Info 4. Please help me to collect an MPS Report from the SBS server:
==============
1. Please download the MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE from the following link and
then run this tool to gather some information from the problematic computer:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

2. Double-click on the MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE file.
[Note] This process may take some time; however, it will not have a
negative effect on the performance.

3. A CAB file will be generated in the
%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\Cab directory called
%COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
generated by the MPS Reporting Tool.

Please send the report to v-***@microsoft.com for research.

At this point, we can try the following steps and check the effect:

Step 1. Rename Repository folder
====================
1. Start->Run->services.msc
2. Please manually stop WMI Service
3. Rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\RepositoryOld and create the Repository folder
again
4. Started WMI service again and check the effect

Step 2. If the problem still persists, please select a time to restart SBS
and check the effect.

Hope this helps. If there are any updates, please feel free to get in
touch. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Iverson Xue, MCSE (MSFT)
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

j***@cyberdude.com
2006-10-20 00:42:46 UTC
Thank you for the quick replies

I forgot to mention that I have already tried reinstalling monitoring
and reporting through the Server Management console, but still need to
try reinstalling the firewall.

WMI is starting correctly with no errors.

Iverson:

1. I get no errors in the WMI Control General Tab
2. NTBackup runs successfully
3. I can run SBS Backup successfully
(all backups report that they have Failed because of the error message
posted above)
4. I have emailed you a copy of the MPS Reports
5. I can rebuild the repository if you would like, however, I already
performed this step when reinstalling WMI on the server. I did this
with the help of Microsoft Phone support.

Thanks again,
Post by Iverson Xue [MSFT]
Hi Jasonegli,
Thank you for posting here. I am Iverson and I'm glad to be working with
you on this post.
From the description I understand you have encountered several problems
Iverson Xue [MSFT]
2006-10-20 07:55:04 UTC
Hello Jason,

Thank you for your reply!

This is a quick note to let you know that I am performing research on this
issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your
patience.

Iverson Xue [MSFT]
2006-10-23 06:06:01 UTC
Hi Jason,

I am sorry for the delay due to weekends.

Please note the public newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support
professionals. Our goal is to provide a one business day response to all
posts.

For time critical issues (not business down), we encourage you to contact
CSS directly for more immediate assistance:
International Support (non-US/Canada):
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

US and Canada:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone

To continue working with me in the newsgroups, please see the following:

Based on my research on the report, I am not sure that the WMI and GPO
issue are related. I suggest we focus on the first problem- WMI Filters:
"Invalid Namespace" issue. Regarding the other problem, please submit a new
post for peer information.

Based on my experience, please help me check and perform the following
information and steps:

I. Please first ensure that the Windows Management Instrumentation
service is running. To check it:

1. Run 'Services.msc' (without the quotation marks) on the command prompt
on the SBS Server.
2. Locate the Windows Management Instrumentation service, and make sure
it is Started.

II. If the WMI service is running, this problem occurred because the WMI
Repository was rebuilt and some components for monitoring and reporting
feature was not registered. To fix this issue, you can reinstall the
monitoring components on the SBS server:

1. Open Add/Remove Programs in ''Control Panel''. Select ''Windows Small
Business Server 2003'' and click ''Change/Remove'' button.

2. The SBS 2003 setup wizard will initiate. In the wizard, click ''Next''
button-->In components selection window, select ''Maintenance'' for
''Server Tools'' and then select ''Reinstall'' for ''Monitoring''.

3. Click ''Next'' to continue the installation.

4. If you have installed the SBS 2003 SP1, you will receive the following
message after you insert SBS Disc 3 to reinstall Monitoring component:

"The drive contains a disc for Windows Small Business Server 2003 with no
service packs. When the prompt appears, insert a disc for Windows Small
Business Server 2003 with Service Pack 1."

Since Disc 3 for SBS SP1 doesn't include the Monitoring part, the
installation cannot proceed.

We'll then use the steps below to work around this problem:

a. Start a cmd prompt and change directory to the SP1 download folder (or
the SBS03_SP1 folder on PKG_CD2).
b. Type "SBS2003-KB885918-SP1-X86-ENU.EXE /x" (with no quotation marks) and
press Enter.
c. Specifying a path for the extracted files (such as C:\SBSSP1)
d. Run the SBS Integrated setup, and when the setup program prompts for the
CD3, point it to the folder created above.

5. Please re-apply the Windows 2003 SP1 and SBS 2003 Sp1 again since those
two update need to be installed after reinstalling the monitoring component.

6. If the issue persists after you reinstall the two updates, please run
the following commands to re-register the providers and dll files:

C:
CD\Windows\System32\wbem
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mfl') do mofcomp %s
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

I appreciate your time and cooperation. If anything is unclear, please feel
free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Iverson Xue, MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
break/fix issues and simple how to questions.
We also love to hear your product feedback!
Let us know what you think by posting from the web interface: Partner
Feedback from your newsreader:
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
We look forward to hearing from you!
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
jasonegli
2006-10-25 15:53:01 UTC
Iverson,

Thank you for your help. Interestingly, I followed your instructions
and doing the mofcomp commands fixed my other problem. Now, I don't
get the userenv errors related to the group policies. However, my
monitoring and reporting problem remains.

When I reinstalled monitoring and reporting I got a warning:
"Permissions could not be properly configured for the Fax Operators
security group. Run Setup again and choose to reinstall the
Administration component."

When I tried to reinstall the Administration component, I got the same
error as above, but setup requested a reboot to finish the install.
When I rebooted, I couldn't even open the Server Management Console.
Apparently, all the files in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Administration" had the administrator user removed from
the security properties. Once I gave priviledges back to the
administrator I could open it again. I then tried running a repair
directly from the MSI file on CD3 and ended up with the same
permissions problem.

In Server Management, when I go to "Set Up Monitoring Reports and
Alerts" and click Finish, I get a red X by all the components
including: Configuring Data Store, Configuring Data Collection,
Configuring Alert Thresholds, and Configuring Reports.

I am also getting a different userenv error in the event log: 1090
"Windows couldn't log the RSoP(Resultant Set of Policies) session
status. An attempt to connect to WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will
be done for this application of Policy."

One more thing, I have Server 2003 SP1 installed, but I do NOT have
Small Business Server 2003 SP1 installed. Do you think this would
help?

Thanks.
Iverson Xue [MSFT]
2006-10-26 08:03:59 UTC
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your update.

From the description, I understand the GPO problem was resolved after
trying the mofcomp commands. However, when we try to reinstall the
monitoring components and Administration component on the SBS server, the
error message "Permissions could not be properly configured for the Fax
Operators security group. Run Setup again and choose to reinstall the
Administration component." is received. I am sorry that know you can not
open Server Management. If I have misunderstood your concern, please feel
free to let me know.

To resolve this issue, make sure that the Network Service account and the
Local Service account is added to the following policy settings on the
domain controller:

o Adjust memory quotas for a process
o Generate security audits
o Log on as a service
o Replace a process level token
o Log on as a batch job

To configure the policy settings for the Network Service account on the
domain controller, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Domain
Controller Security Policy.
2. Expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.

The policy settings are displayed in the right pane.

3. Double-click the policy setting that you want to add the Network Service
account to.
4. If the Network Service account and the Local service account is not in
the list of users and groups that are assigned to that policy setting,
click Add User or Group.
5. In the Select User or Groups dialog box, type Network Service in the
Enter the object names to select box, and then click OK.
6. Verify that NETWORK SERVICE is displayed in the list of users and groups
that are assigned to that policy setting, and then click OK.
7. Add Local service the same way.
8. Reboot the server.

For More Information:

842207 You cannot use the Fax service on a Windows Server 2003-based domain
controller or you receive a "Permissions could not be properly configured
for Fax Operators" error message when you run the Windows Small Business
Server 2003 Setup program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;842207

To your another question, we need apply Windows 2003 SP1 service packs
first, then apply other service packs. Please take a look at the following
detail information:

The whole SBS 2003 SP1 package disks including:

A. Windows Server 2003 SP1
B. Windows SharePoint Services SP1
C. Exchange Server 2003 SP1
D. Outlook 2003 SP1 (applies to each client)
E. Windows XP SP2 (applies to each client)
F. Active Sync 3.8 (applies to each client)
G. SBS 2003 SP1
H. SQL Server 2000 SP4 (Premium only)
I. ISA 2004 (Premium only)

We need apply the A-G service packs one by one and the G: SBS 2003 SP1
should be applied in the end. The H-I service packs can be applied as you
need and there is no order of them.

The premium SP1 disk just has more contents: SQL Server 2000 SP4 and ISA
2004 than that in the standard SP1 disk. What is more, I would like to give
you some information about apply SP1.

What is more, you can refer to the following articles to apply SBS 2003 SP1:

Suggestion 1:
======================
Before you begin to apply SP1, I suggest you follow the below white paper
to backup your SBS server first. So that your business and data could be
kept safe no matter how the troubleshooting process goes.

Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/maintain/bkuprstr.mspx

Suggestion 2:
======================
It is recommended you apply SBS sp1 follow installation guide provided by
Microsoft and you will not encounter many issues.

You can refer to the following link to apply SBS SP1:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?PageContentID=62&tabid=236

In the following website you can find many useful resources related to SBS
SP1:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?PageContentID=53&tabid=236

jasonegli
2006-11-10 00:55:21 UTC
I have added the Network Service account and the Local Service account
to the policies you listed.

I have also installed all the updates you listed.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to setup Monitoring Reports and
Alerts. I still get the same red 'X' by each component when it is
configuring. I get several error 47 messages when running the setup for
monitoring reports and alerts. ie. "WMI ADAP was unable to retrieve
data from the PerfLib subkey:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servies\mssindex\Performance\Library, error
code: 0x80041009"

Also, I am still getting error 1090 as described above.

Please let me know if you have any more ideas. Thank you.
Iverson Xue [MSFT]
2006-11-10 09:16:02 UTC
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your update and I am sorry that this issue still persists.

After I perform a further research according to the error message and error
message, I suggest you perform the following suggestions to troubleshoot
this behavior.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Try to dredge the computer's performance libraries again by using the
following commands:

"winmgmt /clearadap" (without the quotation marks)

This command clears all WMI-related values from the service''s performance
registry key.

"winmgmt /resyncperf "winmgmt service pid"" (without the quotation marks)

This command registers the computer''s performance libraries with the WMI.

You can find the WMI service PID information on the Process tab of Windows
Task Manager.

The performance registry keys for the involved services include the
following registry keys:

WbemAdapFileSize
WbemAdapFileTime
WbemAdapStatus

NOTE: For more information about the command options that are available
with WMI, type "winmgmt/?" (without the quotation marks) at a command
prompt.

jasonegli
2006-11-15 01:45:30 UTC
Thanks for the quick reply. I have just taken the steps you
recommended, but the problem remains. This is a very strange issue.
Please let me know if you have any more ideas.

Thanks
Iverson Xue [MSFT]
2006-11-15 09:14:57 UTC
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your update.

I am sorry that despite our best efforts we have been unable to resolve
this particular issue through newsgroup correspondence. For further trouble
shoot the issue, we may need more resources, however it is hard handle in
Newsgroup. I would like to suggest that you contact our CSS so that a
dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request on site. Please
be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call. However,
if you are simply requesting a hotfix be sent to you and no other support
then charges are usually refunded or waived.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.