SBS 2003 and Branch Office
Daniel Jewel
2010-05-20 13:08:36 UTC
Hello to all,

Since we have started with SBS a few years ago, we never really had the
need, nor the opportunity
to set up a remote office with the functionality as follows. So, I would be
very grateful if I can get detail the steps needed to accomplish the
following:

Head Office has:
SBS 2003 Premium R2, ISA Installed, 2 NICs and about 25 client PCs, Fixed IP

Remote Office has:
Server 2003 64bit R2 1 NIC and 32 client PCs, Dynamic IP (Using Dynamic DNS
Services)

We need:
Make server at remote office a DC and remote office users able to see and
use shares at head office as well as outlook, companyweb

How do we go about this?

Thanks!
Dan
lyj_e1
2010-05-20 14:37:01 UTC
Hi,

We had a similar requirement and did the following: Setup the member server
on the SBS network using DCPROMO.

Created a site to site VPN connection between the two routers. Had to add a
static route on the router to allow the ISA to pass through the VPN. This was
the tricky part.

Then transferred the member server to the branch office and setup as normal
making sure it is on a different subnet (which you would need to do with the
site to site VPN connection anyway)

Hope this helps.

Lyj
.
Daniel Jewel
2010-05-20 17:14:43 UTC
Definitely s start Lyj,

I read a partial article on smallbizserver.net where they talk a bout
creating another site on AD and from there on...
Hope someone will have some working knowledge more in that direction
THANK YOU FOR SHARING!
Dan
.
kj [SBS MVP]
2010-05-20 17:32:07 UTC
Post by Daniel Jewel
Definitely s start Lyj,
I read a partial article on smallbizserver.net where they talk a bout
creating another site on AD and from there on...
Hope someone will have some working knowledge more in that direction
THANK YOU FOR SHARING!
Dan
An AD site is a collection of subnets, in your case probably just one. Main
office will already have the default site, so define a new site for 'branch
office' with the IP subnet for those computers. This AD site/subnet is used
by DClocator (and others like DFS) to locate the closet reources (like
domain controllers).

After promoting the new DC make sure it is in the branch office AD site.
/kj
Daniel Jewel
2010-05-20 17:58:26 UTC
Thank you so much KJ!

Please bear with me on this issue as I have not had any previous opportunity
to set one up like this...
I searched MS and google but did not have any luck on a KB, nor how-to, nor
a step-by-step article

Would you be so patient to perhaps detail some of this info for me (I'm
sorry if I'm asking for too much... but never really had the chance to work
on something like this)

Dan
/kj
kj [SBS MVP]
2010-05-20 18:06:29 UTC
Post by Daniel Jewel
Thank you so much KJ!
Please bear with me on this issue as I have not had any previous
opportunity to set one up like this...
I searched MS and google but did not have any luck on a KB, nor
how-to, nor a step-by-step article
Would you be so patient to perhaps detail some of this info for me
(I'm sorry if I'm asking for too much... but never really had the
chance to work on something like this)
Dan
Here's some suggested reading that will likely be of help to you. Afterwards
feel free to post back with questions specific you your intended enviroment.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9353A4F6-A8A8-40BB-9FA7-3A95C9540112&displaylang=en
/kj
Daniel Jewel

/kj
kj [SBS MVP]
/kj
Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
2010-05-20 23:43:44 UTC
Hi Daniel:

I read through the thread and come back here to propose a different solution.
You will have to open your mind a little to see the value proposition it
offers, and if your internet connections are fast/big enough it may not matter.
But with the usual sort of internet connections we see, this sort of thing
is a real pain as the speeds are limited to the slowest, which is some fraction
of the slowest upload speed as some of the connection must be left over for
normal use in addition to the VPN.

So I suggest that you consider using that second box in the main office as
a Terminal Server (or Remote Desktop Server as it is called now). This has
several advantages. No data ever leaves the home office. No loading of
databases over the internet. No sloooowwwww opening of Word or Excel documents
over a narrow connection. Only screen refreshes and keystrokes pass over
the internet.

OTOH, if you have fast, say FIOS or T3 connections, you might find it usable.
I still don't like opening most database apps over an internet connection
as Access and most accounting data is very susceptible to corruption if the
connections is lost, and with Access in particular you open the entire table
every time you do a query.

If CAD or the like is in the mix, those files get very large as well, but
you would most likely want to store them locally as Terminal Services is
not really a great place for CAD or Video Editing and the like.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com
Dan
Leythos
2010-05-21 01:03:10 UTC
Post by Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
So I suggest that you consider using that second box in the main office as
a Terminal Server (or Remote Desktop Server as it is called now). This has
several advantages. No data ever leaves the home office. No loading of
databases over the internet. No sloooowwwww opening of Word or Excel documents
over a narrow connection. Only screen refreshes and keystrokes pass over
the internet.
I completely agree and this is the first solution path for any remote
office - the payback comes from lower maintenance time, decrease in lost
productivity, that you can use Thin-Clints instead of full computers at
the remote office locations, that they can work from anywhere with an
internet connection, oh, did I mention lower maintenance costs....
Trust yourself.
***@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)
Piet Lietaer
2010-05-21 07:00:29 UTC
Post by Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
So I suggest that you consider using that second box in the main office as
a Terminal Server (or Remote Desktop Server as it is called now).  > --
I want to suggest another alternative approach : you can user DFSR to
replicate the files in the file shares in both offices to each other.
We have a customer where we did this in 5 offices with one central SBS
server. They have 500GB of data on the head office main file share,
that is replicated over standard DSL lines to the file shares in the
main offices.

DFSR (distributed file system replication) only replicates the
differences that are made to the files in a compressed format and
foresees in conflict handling mechanisms if files are changed on
different locations simultaneously. When mobile users log in in
different offices, the get a s:\ network drive via a login script.

This works very well and is certainly a better solution than trying to
open network shares over a slow vpn link. In our case, it is also a
better solution than working with terminal services or citrix, because
our customer works mainly with CAD applications, which cannot be run
on terminal services.

Best regards

Piet
Cliff Galiher - MVP

Piet
Daniel Jewel
2010-05-21 14:21:22 UTC
Guys (Lyj_e1;KJ; Larry; Leythos; Piet and Cliff)

Allow me to first say a BIG THANK YOU !!!
I'm mesmerized and humbled by the fabulous HELP I always get from this NG !

I have some thinking to do and will try to "digest" all the good ideas and
approaches to my problem.
In the meantime I would like to ask what your experience is in regards to
Exchange/Outlook on remote offices. Does it work OK or is it very sluggish?

Again, thanks to all!
Dan
Piet
Jim Behning SBS MVP
2010-05-21 14:36:45 UTC
I use Outlook anywhere on my laptop and it works fine. RPC over HTTP I
think is another name for it. The instructions to make it work are on
your /remote web site.

If you have decent T1 at your main office it works great. If you have
a ATT DSL at the main office in the Atlanta market it might stink.
Remote office the speed is not as critical.

Post by Piet Lietaer
[...]
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
kj [SBS MVP]
2010-05-21 15:42:51 UTC
Post by Jim Behning SBS MVP
I use Outlook anywhere on my laptop and it works fine. RPC over HTTP I
think is another name for it. The instructions to make it work are on
your /remote web site.
If you have decent T1 at your main office it works great. If you have
a ATT DSL at the main office in the Atlanta market it might stink.
Remote office the speed is not as critical.
Works great and properly configured Outlook will switch modes automatically.
Available bandwidth will dictate the percieved sluggishness. If all 30+ of
your remote users are sending / receiving large attatment email at the same
time, it likely will seem sluggish, but typical usage probably will be just
fine.
/kj
Leythos
2010-05-21 15:53:38 UTC
Post by Daniel Jewel
In the meantime I would like to ask what your experience is in regards to
Exchange/Outlook on remote offices. Does it work OK or is it very sluggish?
Since you would use Cached mode, over the internet, it's almost no
different unless you have really large attachments that you send/recv.

I actually configure cached mode over https for all my outlook
connections, even inside the lan.
Milhouse Van Houten
2010-05-21 17:16:09 UTC
So it's something in Server 2003 R2 that they stripped from SBS?!
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778621(WS.10).aspx
-Cliff
kj [SBS MVP]
2010-05-21 17:24:37 UTC
Post by Cliff Galiher - MVP
dfs-r is not available sbs 2003.
-Cliff
I wouldn't say 'stripped', but the SBS2003 R2 Upgrade did not include all of
the functionality of Standard editions of 2003 R2. On the other hand SBS2003
R2 had *some* inclusions that Standard 2003 R2 did not.

Different SKUs, different products, different features.
/kj
Cliff Galiher - MVP
2010-05-21 21:11:14 UTC
Not stripped. Remember that "R2" is just a naming convention MS uses to
differentiate a major release from a minor one (or that is what it was at
one time...it has morphed a bit.) And "R2" on one product does not
necessarily tie it to an "R2" of another product.

In the case of SBS 2003 R2, the R2 is tied to the SBS bits. Those got a
minor revision update. The underlying core was 2003, Windows Server 2003,
NOT Windows Server 2003 R2. As such, any technologies that required the
Server 2003 R2 kernel *could not* be included in SBS 2003 R2. It isn't like
they went in and stripped things out, but more that they couldn't forcefully
wedge things in.

-Cliff