server/connectcomputer from remote offices
mooshcaca
2005-11-11 19:17:49 UTC
Hi All
I have an sbs server running at HQ on subnet 192.168.20.0, 2 remote
offices on 192.168.30.0 and 192.168.10.0. Each remote office has a DC
connected win 2003 std, successfully replicating the AD. The networks
are connected via lan to lan vpns handled by the routers.

I am able to get to the connectcomputer page after modifying the ip
restrictions in iis for the connectcomputer directory. I am able to run
the connect computer which is fine.

My problems are:

1. The login script line \\servername\client\setup.exe /s servername
takes a long time to load, this i feel is down to the vpn. Can I move
this setup to a local share and modify the script? Can I consider
removing this line altogether following a successful connectcomputer?

2. In nearly all cases, at the remote office, Outlook does not auto
configure with the exchange account, instead the outlook setup wizard
runs, where I have to add the exchange account manually... with 20 odd
users logging into each client machine, this is obviously most
inconvenient. Is there something I am missing in getting outlook to
config automatically?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated..

Cheers

Ian
Brandy Nee [MSFT]
2005-11-14 08:22:20 UTC
Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting to the SBS Newsgroup.

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

My reply is a bit long, so please take your time to read and gather the
information as required.

1> A: From the information you have applied, we cannot determine whether
the issue is caused by SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat. Since lack of detail
information, I am not sure whether it takes long time to find the
SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat or it takes long time to execute the script. So please
see my following suggestions:

1. As Windows Server 2003 has AD Replication with the SBS 2K3 Server, there
should be SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat on the two DCs for remote clients. When
remote clients log on domain, they should query the SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat on
DC not SBS 2K3 Server, unless they need to access SBS Resource (e.g.
Companyweb).

Please check, on one client workstation behind the Windows Server 2003,
open a command window, type "set" (without quotation marks), check
"LOGONSERVER=", is it the SBS 2K3 Server or Windows Server 2003?

2. You mentioned "The login script line \\servername\client\setup.exe /s
servername takes a long time to load", do clients behind the Windows Server
2003 experience slow log on issue? If yes, which step takes more time? For
example, Applying Group Policy or Apply Network Configuration, etc.

3. I do not suggest that remove the \\SERVER\Clients\Setup\setup.exe /s
SERVER entry in the logon script. For the setup.exe in the logon script, it
generally does the following job:

a. It works with the client apps component to install default client
application assigned by the wizard on the server and presents shortcuts to
customized apps delegated to clients/Installs apps.

b. Modifies machine time sync configurations at the registry level.

c. When run on a member server it will change your default gateway setting
to that of your SBS regardless of static entries under TCP/IP.

d. In addition, the following information is also highlighted from Spec

i. Gets & checks the name that it is valid

ii. Validates the requested IP address

iii. Adds it to the SBS Servers OU

iv. Specify a static IP & subnet mask (which server, if any is DHCP is also
covered)

v. Validates the requested static IP address

vi. No profile migration to the server will occur

vii. Connected printers will be published in the SBS AD

viii. Install tsweb activex control so tsweb will work for all ts clients

I think it is not good to move \\SERVER\Clients\Setup\setup.exe /s SERVER
from all client logon script. It may have some impact on your SBS network.

2> A: For your second issue, I need to gather following information for
further research:

1. Please explain in detail "Outlook does not auto configure with the
exchange account", what is the exact symptom? What exact steps do you "add
the exchange account manually"? I suggest that you fully explain the issue
so we can have a clearer image.

2. Did this issue occur before? Did you install any updates or make any
changes on the server, recently?

3. What profile do problematic clients use, Roaming or Local Profile?

4. Does this issue occur on all remote clients or several?

5. On the problematic client workstation, check whether there is any .prf
file.

6. On the problematic client workstation, Control Panel -> Mail -> what is
the content inside "The following profiles are set up on this computer"?

7. On the problematic client workstation, run "eventvwr" (without quotation
marks), check whether there is any error. If yes, double click it, click
the Copy button and paste the full content to the Newsgroup.

Please take your time to perform the steps above and collect the
information for us to troubleshoot your issue. If anything is unclear,
please feel free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
Subject: server/connectcomputer from remote offices
Ian
mooshcaca
Ian
mooshcaca
2005-11-18 11:03:03 UTC
Hi Brandy

Thanks for the reply and your patience in waiting for a response!

We have the sbs server installed at location A.
At location B and C we have a win2k3 std server which is successfully
replicating the AD. Therefore the Sysvol share is also replicated. The logon
scripts are obviously located and replicated in there. The clients do indeed
query the scripts on the local dcs.
The problem lies in the fact that the first line in the script points at
\\serverinlocationA\. when this script is run, the client machines have to
pull down the whole of the setup.exe and anything that is referenced by it
inorder to logon.
Given that these are 256k vpn's, this takes sometime.

I do not beliebe there is any issue with the machines logging onto the
domain, only that the exe detailed in the script file takes so long to run.

I agree that the first line on the script should not be removed, however, I
would like to copy all of the relevant data to a local share, and create a
script for those users.

With the second issue... it is caused by the first! since we were not being
patient enough for setup.exe to fully execute, it was not completing the
client set up. If we logon a user for the first time at location B and
walkaway for 10 minutes, everything is fine and dandy.

Does this clarify my questions better?

Thanks

Ian
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
Ian
Brandy Nee [MSFT]
2005-11-21 07:43:54 UTC
Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting back!

I understand that you want to copy some files from SBS Server to DCs locate
at Site B and Site C.

Based on my knowledge, if there is another Windows 2K3 computer works as a
second DC or member server in the SBS 2003 domain, we can use the DFS to
replicate the files. To do this, you can create a domain root on the SBS
2003 server, enable DFS on the Windows 2K3 server and then configure the
replication between two servers. For detailed information regarding DFS,
please refer to the following links:

Step-by-Step Guide to Distributed File System (Dfs)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/dfsguide.
mspx

Distributed File System (DFS): Best Practices and Troubleshooting Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/fileandprint/df
sbp.asp

812487 Overview of DFS in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812487

323247 Overview of Basic File Replication Service Concepts and Terminology
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323247

Windows Server 2003 Deployment Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/DepKi
t/c283b699-6124-4c3a-87ef-865443d7ea4b.mspx

Windows 2000 DFS
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windo
ws2000/en/advanced/help/sag_DFtopnode.htm

Regarding second issue, I still suggest that gather the information I
required to research.

Hope this information helps. Thanks a lot for your time and I am looking

Subject: RE: server/connectcomputer from remote offices
Ian
mooshcaca
2005-11-22 12:16:07 UTC
Hi Brandy

I have enabled DFS for the setup folder, which is replicating across the 3
dc's.
I will be modifying the logon script to point at
"\\domain\dfs\clients\setup.exe /s servername"

I have not done this yet as I am not sure what "servername" on the end of
the line actually does...

I will also be replicating the clientapps share, though I have not completed
this yet.

Just to clarify, the second issue raised at the beginning of this thread
will be resolved by getting the above correct...

Thanks for the links :-) they were very helpful in getting the dfs up and
running.

Ian
Ian
Brandy Nee [MSFT]
2005-11-23 12:16:08 UTC
Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting back!

I am sorry that I am not sure why you plan to modify the SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.
I wonder whether this is because you have concern on clients' slow log on
domain issue. If this is the case, I suggest that we perform a test to see
whether slow log on issue comes from the SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT. To do so, please
see:

1. Expand to Server Management\Standard Management\Users.

2. On the right panel, right click one problematic client account who is
experiencing slow log on issue.

3. Go to Properties, Profile tab.

4. Delete the Logon script.

5. Ask the user to log on domain again to see whether the issue will be
solved or not.

Actually, DFS uses FRS for replication, and FRS is a multi-master
replication method. So users can access shared folders locally.

I suggest that you go to one problematic client workstation, and SBS
Server, open a command window, type "ipconfig /all" (without quotation
marks), copy and paste the full content to the Newsgroup.

[Note]: Please do not edit any result.

Please take your time to perform the steps above and collect the
information for us to troubleshoot your issue. I am looking forward to

Ian
mooshcaca
2005-11-23 13:51:21 UTC
Hi Brandy

I think I may have been misunderstood.

The SBS server is in Location A
I have a replica w2k3 std server config'd as a dc in location B
Also, I have a number of client workstations in Location B

We can connect the workstations in Location B to the sbs domain with no
problem. We are able to log on the users of those workstations also, no
problem, not slow...

What is actually a nuisance, is the default logon script runs as that user
logs on. That's fine, but, as the first line in the script is:

\\serverinlocationA\clients\setup...... etc it means that the whole setup
executable has to be pulled down across a relatively slow vpn link, therefore
it takes a while for the cmd window to disappear...

You have already made clear why this script needs to run, in terms of client
set up etc.

To resolve this issue, I have enabled replication of the clients share
across to the server in location B as well as the one in Location C
This is now accessible via \\domain\dfs\clients....

I have checked that the workstations in Location B are logging onto the
local dc also.

As setup.exe configures outlook with the exch server account, the reason it
wasn't is that we were not allowing enough time for the setup.exe to run all
of its processes. Again, it is taking a while because of the relatively slow
VPN.

What I am actually trying to achieve is for those workstations in Location B
(and C) to look towards a local server for setup.exe and all of the
clientapps. This I feel is best achieved via the dfs and frs.

I still do not know what servername on the end of that line means.. should
it point to a domain as suggested here:
http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2005/03/15.aspx

Thanks for your posts, and apologies for my lack of clarity!

Ian
Ian
Brandy Nee [MSFT]
2005-11-24 12:50:31 UTC
Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting back!

I am currently doing research on "/s servername" now. If I have any result,
I will update you ASAP.

I greatly appreciated your time and understanding!

Ian
mooshcaca
2005-11-24 13:43:05 UTC
Hi Brandy

I have since found out via the smallbizserver.net forum that the servername
on the end of the line represents the netbios name of the sbs box.

I was at location B earlier and tested logon's using the new line:

\\domain\dfs\clients\setup\setup.exe /s sbsboxname

This massively improved the time in which setup.exe loaded (because the
client machines now look at a local share, not one on the other end of the
vpn to location A) and the speed at which client machines configured is also
improved.

The post on the other forum suggests that the dfs is a little flakey and
that I should not really be relying on it... it suggests that R2 versions
will show significant improvement. I am not sure how true the above
suggestions are....

If there is anything else you feel I could do to improve performance, I'd be
very grateful

Thanks very much for all your help so far!

Ian
Ian
Brandy Nee [MSFT]
2005-11-28 10:41:04 UTC
Hello Ian,

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

I am still performing research on your issue. I have one question regarding
your script: \\domain\dfs\clients\setup\setup.exe /s sbsboxname:

What is the exact "setup.exe" it is? Is it the original setup.exe in
SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.DAT or a customize file to deploy your personal
applications? The setup.exe relates with the parameter "/s servername" so I
need clearer information.

Ian
mooshcaca

Ian
Brandy Nee [MSFT]
2005-11-29 11:25:25 UTC
Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting back!

I am still doing research now. I will update you ASAP if I have any
results. Thanks a lot for your time and understanding!

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:48:01 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
Hello Ian,

Sorry to keep you waiting! I am just back to office because I was ill and
took sick leave these days.

I have performed a lot of research and discussed with many colleagues on
your concern, we cannot find any publish documents on making the default
SBS shared folders as the DFS shares. Also, we do not suggest that
customize the SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT, since it may cause many potential issues.

We suggest that contact Microsoft Product Support Services via telephone
for better solution and a dedicated Support Professional can assist with
your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a
charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.

I am sorry for any inconvenience brought up to you, and greatly appreciated

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:48:01 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs