New SBS install, users or device licensing?
r042wal
2005-03-23 05:57:39 UTC
I am going to do a new SBS 2003 install for a company. When I purchase the
software I can purchase

T74-00190 Win SBS CAL 2003 English OLP 5 NL Chrty User CAL
or

T74-00244 Win SBS CAL 2003 English OLP 5 NL Chrty Device CAL

What is the difference between purchasing user CALs vs. device CALs? It
would seem to me if I want to set 10 users up on SBS I buy T74-00190 Win SBS
CAL 2003 English OLP 5 NL Chrty User CAL and add a 5-user pack of user CALs,
right?

Incidently, this is for an organization that qualifies for the MS Charity
Licencing program, hence the part numbers.

TIA
Bill Peng [MSFT]
2005-03-24 11:25:27 UTC

Thank you for posting here!

For license questions, we always recommend you to contact our Sales Office
directly. For information about replacement manuals, disks, drivers and
service packs, product activation, product orders, policies related to
copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product
registration, please call Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400,
available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific time.

I'd like to provide you with some information about your questions. Please
check them below:

SBS CAL is different with normal Windows Server CALs. Both the standard
edition and the premium edition of Windows Small Business Server 2003
include Outlook 2003. Each Windows Small Business Server 2003 client access
license (CAL) allows either one user or one device to run a copy of Outlook
2003.

There're 2 kinds of CALs - per device/per user.

Windows Device CALs might make most economic and administrative sense for
an organization with multiple users for one device, such as shift workers.

Whereas, Windows User CALs might make most sense for an organization with
many roaming employees that need access to the corporate network from
unknown devices and/or employees who access the network via multiple
devices.

Please refer to the following article to understand how it works:
Windows Server 2003 Client Access Licensing Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/caloverview.ms
px

[Note] Each SBS server can have no more than 75 CALs.

[Note] If you have additional Windows Server, please refer to this KB to
configure CAL on the server OS.
How to configure licensing on an additional Windows server in an SBS network
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327644

I hope the above info helps.

If you have further questions, please feel free to post back.

Bill Peng
MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

Subject: New SBS install, users or device licensing?