sbs 2003 XP SP-2 Windows update not working
m***@nospam.com
2005-01-20 11:11:52 UTC
Hi
having a bit of an issue with some new computers
All new and identical same software etc.

Some of them windows update fails with error number 0x8007045A

2 stop at the "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
software" page

Others work fine!

Anyone any ideas?
Thanks
Mal
Charles Yang [MSFT]
2005-01-24 10:26:47 UTC
Hi

Thank you for your post.

From the description, I understand that when you tried to update the
Windows XP SP2 stations through WU v5 site, the procedure failed with
0x8007054a error means "A dynamic link library initialization routine
failed".

Can I assume that the problem can be reproduced with the following steps?
a. Open Internet Explorer. (The browser then goes to the default web
page http://companyweb )
b. Click 'Tools'->'Windows Update'.
c. The browser goes to the Windows update site. When clicking the
install button, the error occurs.
If so, please try the following steps to see if the problem will be
resolved:
a. Open Internet Explorer; click 'Tools'->'Internet Options'. Click
'Use Blank' button for 'Home page'.
b. Click 'Delete Files' and 'Delete Cookies' buttons to clear the IE
caches.
c. Click 'OK' to close the dialog boxes. Close the current IE
instance. Open a new IE instance and then try 'Windows update' site. Will
you be able to install the updates?

If the problem can be resolved in this way, the problem could be caused
because the browser attempted to download a Sharepoint related DLL. This
DLL caused the conflict to the Windows Update site. Since the default web
page of the SBS clients are set to 'Companyweb', when you open the browser,
it immediately accesses the SharePoint site. Although you click 'Stop'
button to abort the browsing, some components could still be downloaded.
Please try the steps to see if the problem will be resolved:

In this particular situation, I suggest you enable the Automatic update
service to retrieve the patches. To enable the Automatic update, right
click my computer, in the "Properties" of my computer, click the "Automatic
Updates" tab, choose the "Automatic".

More info:
885819 You experience problems when you access the Windows Update Version 5
Web
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=885819

I hope the above information is useful to you, if you have any questions
please feel free and let me know.

Have a nice day!

Charles Yang
Online Partner Support
Partner Support Group
Mailto: v-***@microsoft.com

Sincerely,

Charles Yang (MFST)

Microsoft Partner Online Support

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
m***@nospam.com
2005-01-24 12:16:26 UTC
Thanks Charles

That works fine. The new computers are set to automatic updates but as
i was building the computers was forcing a windows update after i
inastalles the OS, I can only assume that as some worked i must have
run windows update before joining to the SBS server so the browser
still had the default homepage set.

i still have a problem with WU on one machine, it gets as far as
"Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft,
and then click Install or Yes to install the software."

Then stops, any ideas about this one?

Thanks again

Mal
Post by Charles Yang [MSFT]
Hi
Thank you for your post.
From the description, I understand that when you tried to update the
Charles Yang [MSFT]
2005-01-25 10:23:26 UTC
Hi Mal,

Thanks for your reply.

From the description, I understand that you still have windows update
question in one of the workstations. Since the current issue only occurs on
a particular workstation, this should be a client site problem. For further
assistance, you could contact the client site support or post to the
Windows XP newsgroup. We do not officially support the pure client site
problem in this newsgroup.

The following are a couple methods you may select to resolve your issue:

Method 1:

Stop the Automatic Updates Service
1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type services.msc.
4. Click OK.
5. Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
6. Select Properties.
7. Under Service status, click Stop.
8. Click OK.

Delete the Contents of the DataStore and Download folders
1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution.
4. Click OK.
5. Delete the contents of both the DataStore and Download folders.

Start the Automatic Updates Service
1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type services.msc.
4. Click OK.
5. Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
6. Select Properties.
7. Under Service status, click Start.
8. Click OK.

Reset or Optimize the Internet Explorer:
For this lets follow the steps given below:
1. Double Click on Internet Explorer Icon
2. Select Tools
3. Select General Tab
4. Delete Cookies->Click OK.
5. Delete History->Click OK
6. Then go to Advanced Tab
7. Click Restore Defaults
8. Click Apply->Click o.k

Turn-Off the Pop-up Blocker: To disable it :
1. Open an Internet Explorer window
2. Click Tools
3. Select Pop-up blocker
4. Select Turn-off pop-up blocker

If our issue stays then kindly proceed to the next set of suggestions.

Add the following Sites as Trusted Sites:
For this lets follow the following steps:
a. Click Start-->Internet Explorer
b. Go to tools in the Tool Bar
c. Click on Internet Options.
d. Go to the security Tab
e. Click on trusted sites
f. Add the web-sites one by one.
g. Click add
h. Click ok
i. And click ok again

http://Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://V4.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://v4.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://Download.Windowsupdate.com
http://V5.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com and
https://v5.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Method2:

1. Click on Start and then click Run,
2. In the open field type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (Without quotation)
3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in wuapi.dll succeeded"
message, click OK.
4. Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL

wordsmith1776
2005-02-07 18:08:04 UTC
Charles, thanks so much for posting Method 2; this solution saved hours
of frustration, as nothing else (I scoured the "Windows Update
Troubleshooter" on Microsoft's site, and none of the solutions worked;
finally searched Google Groups with the text query
<No response "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
software"> and up came your post!

< Method2:

1. Click on Start and then click Run,
2. In the open field type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (Without quotation)
3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in wuapi.dll succeeded"
message, click OK.
4. Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL >

Specifically, the "update.exe" file and the above DLL files had
mysteriously disappeared after I did a full Systerm Recovery on a
Compaq Presario S4020WM PC, WinXP Home Edition, from the D:\ drive
partition that has the factory-original Win. XP OS, software, and
drivers.

(Compaq does not ship a "stand-alone" Win. XP Home Edition CD, but
places an "image" of factory-specification Win. XP, OEM Software and
drivers, etc. on the "D:\" drive partition on Drive C:\; fine if the
D:\ does not get corrupted, but if it does, one has to order the
Reocvery CDs from HP; why don't they just ship the Recovery CDs in the
first place? Sigh.)

Has anyone else encountered the problem of "update.exe" and missing
WUAUENG.DLL
WUAUENG1.DLL, ATL.DLL, WUCLTUI.DLL, WUPS.DLL, JSCRIPT.DLL, WUWEB.DLL,
and MSXML3.DLL files after doing a full System Recovery using either
the D:\[image of factory-original Win. XP/software/drivers, or the
Recovery CDs, on Compaq or any other PC?

Thanks

Richard
"wordsmith1776"
wordsmith1776
2005-02-07 18:11:53 UTC
Charles, just wanted to thank you for posting this solution regarding
"XP SP-2 Windows update not working"; I encountered this situation on a
Compaq Presario S4020WM (Athlon 2400+ uProc.; Win XP Home Ed.), after a
full System REcovery had to be done from the D:\ "Reocvery" partition,
after a hang at Win XP startup could not be resolved (Compaq does not
supply Win XP Home Ed.CDs).

Win XP had successfully installed, and all software/hardware worked,
but when it came to attempting the "Windows Critical Update" it would
stop responding, with no error message.

After a very (!) lengthy search of "WIndows Update Troubleshooter" and
having no success with the solutions there, I then did a Search in the
Google Groups using "No response
"
Post by Charles Yang [MSFT]
Hi Mal,
Thanks for your reply.
Post by Charles Yang [MSFT]
3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in wuapi.dll
succeeded"
Post by Charles Yang [MSFT]
message, click OK.
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL
Charles Yang [MSFT]
2005-02-08 08:37:10 UTC
Hi,

Thank you for your updates.

According to your description, when using windows critical updates, it
would stop responding. If I am off base, please let me know.

Please understand that this kinds of issue is not supported in this
newsgroup. Please post it to the Windows XP public newsgroup for further
support.

Here I would like to suggest you follow the KB article to update your
Windows XP:

306525 How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;306525

If this is an urgency thing please contact with PSS.
To obtain the phone numbers for a specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.
I appreciate your understanding and hope this information helps.

Charles Yang
Online Partner Support
Partner Support Group
Mailto: v-***@microsoft.com

Sincerely,

Charles Yang (MFST)

Microsoft Online Support Engineer

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.