Advice on backup Domain Controller in Branch Office
Andrew Vital
2006-08-24 18:13:02 UTC
Hi, i did some searches on BDCs but cant' find anything specific to my
situation so here goes.

We have a SBS in our main office that our 3 branchoffices connet to via p2p
VPn lines. These are smaller offices, 1, 3, and 6 people respectivley. We are
consolidating 2 offices into 1, so we'll have 9 people in one office now, so
i'm thinking that i wanted to get a BDC running in that office.

I'm looking for best practices advice. As of now i have users' My Documents
linked to their Z:\ which is on the SBS - so for the people in this office
i'd like to redirect that to the server that would be local to them. Also to
provide fault tolerence for printing and dns if the main office were to go
down. This would also help load balance.

Now i'm wondering what the limit of doing this is? As of now if the line
goes down they lose email - could exchange be replicated across this too?

Just trying to keep as much traffic local as posssible.

Any ideas, tips, experiences, do's and don'ts are apprecaited.

Thanks!

Andrew
SuperGumby [SBS MVP]
2006-08-25 04:51:03 UTC
IMHO _do not_ redirect any folders to the user's share(s), redirect to
specific folders used for the purpose and hidden.

I redirect My Documents to \\sbs\mydocsredir$\%username%, TS profiles to
\\sbs\tsprofile$\%username%, roaming profiles (which I rarely use) to
\\sbs\profile$\%username%.

and yes, I'd either have the remote sites access HQ via a TS or put a 2nd
peer DC (there is, in theory, no such thing as a BDC in 2000+), and redirect
these items to that server. The remote DC also needs to be a GC for this to
work.

Makes me wonder whether GPO redirection would work, and possibly be
beneficial, to %logonserver%\redirfolder\%username%.
Andrew
kj
2006-08-25 05:12:13 UTC
Post by SuperGumby [SBS MVP]
Makes me wonder whether GPO redirection would work, and possibly be
beneficial, to %logonserver%\redirfolder\%username%.
Perhaps a DFS share instead since you'd want insync copies on any DC that
could be a %logonserver%.

...and definatly not "offline enabled"!
--
/kj
Andrew
Andrew Vital
2006-08-25 12:58:01 UTC
Thanks for your reply.
Currently I redirect to \\sbs\users\username for my users MyDocuments,
haven't gotten to all of them yet. I recently thought Z:\ would be a better
redirection as if i ever needed to change the location of the folders for a
specific user i could do it by simply redirecting the connect path of z:\
rather then visiting the workstation. Why is redirecting to z:\ bad?
Just seems easier to use the user share which is already there rather then
having to create a new structure of shared folders for my users.

IMHO if it ain't broke don't fix it - unless there is a reason it may
"break" in the future which of course i want to prevent.

I ran dcpromo on a windows 2000 server so i could practice setting up a 2nd
DC, This won't be the server i use i'll get a new 2003 server but this is a
test environment for me now. Anyway i dont' know how to copy the GC. I
searched the help and all i found were checklissts and some best practices,
of which i seem to be ok with.

Thanks!
Andy
Andrew
kj

Andrew
Crina Li
2006-08-28 07:30:20 UTC
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your posting and thanks for SuperGumby's input.

According to your description, I understand that you would like to install
a 2nd Server as Additional DC in the SBS 2003 network for fault-tolerate,
when the SBS Server goes down. If I have misunderstood the problem, please
do not hesitate to let me know.

Yes, we can install a 2nd Server as Additional DC in the SBS 2003 network,
which provides fault tolerance for user authentication and can improve the
availability and reliability of network services as well.

Generally, there is no much difference between the SBS 2003 server and
standard 2003 server to setup additional DC. Please refer the following
articles on deploying additional DC:

Deploying Additional Domain Controllers in a New Regional Domain
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deploy
guide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/de
ployguide/en-us/dssbm_drd_gmcr.asp

Step-by-Step Guide to Adding and Managing Additional Servers in a Windows
Small Business Server Network

Running Multiple Servers in a Windows Small Business Server Environment

In addition, you may need to know about the properly configuration for the
license in this scenario:

How to configure licensing on an additional Windows server in an SBS network
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327644

To optimize the AD replication, I would suggest you configure the site
settings. For the detailed information:

228866 Active Directory Replication Events During Scheduled Available
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228866

199174 Directory Replication Basics for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=199174

The following article tells you how to create Global Catalog on your
additional DC.

816105 How To Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816105

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here: