Post SP1 error events
Andrew H
2005-06-28 11:00:07 UTC
Since installing SBS SP1 I've had 2 events recur in the event log:

Event 9097 from MSExchangeSA (The MAD monitoring thread was unable to
connect to WMI, error '0x8004100e')

Event 1091 from UserEnv (The Group Policy client-side extension failed to
log RSOP data)

I've tried stopping winmgmt and recreating the repository to fix the first,
but it didn't help.

If it's relevant, Exchange SP1 had been previously installed, so I didn't
install again it as part of SBS SP1 installation.

Any suggestions, please?
Jerry zhao (MSFT)
2005-06-29 01:52:44 UTC
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post.

============== For the event 9097 =================

This issue may occur if the Exchange namespace has become unregistered in
Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) on the system.

To resolve this issue, reregister the Exchange namespace with WMI. To do so:

1. Insert the Small Business Server 2003 CD #2 and then locate the
Exwmi.mof file.

2. Click Start and then click Run.

3. Type "cmd" without the quotation marks and click OK.

4. Type the following command and press ENTER, where <cd-rom> is the drive
letter of the CD-ROM drive:

%systemroot%\system32\wbem\mofcomp.exe
<cd-rom>:\EXCHSRVR65\setup\i386\exchange\exwmi.mof

Related Knowledge Base article:

288590 Error "0x8004100e" and Event ID 9097 Occur When You Run the System
Attendant
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=288590

If the issue still persists, that files in the
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder may get corrupted. You can
follow the steps below to re-create the files:

1. Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.

2. On the shortcut menu, click Manage.

3. In the left pane of the Computer Management console, double-click
"Services and Applications".

4. Under "Services and Applications", click Services.

5. In the right pane of the Computer Management console, locate and then
right-click Windows Management Instrumentation.

6. On the shortcut menu, click Stop.

7. Start Windows Explorer, and then locate the
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.

8. Copy %SystemRoot%\System32\wbem\Repository to a different folder and
then delete all of the files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository
folder.

9. Restart the computer. The files that were deleted are re-created when
the computer restarts as the Windows Management Instrumentation service
starts automatically when you restart the computer.

If the above information does not help, it probably means a WMI DLL is no
longer registered. You can try registering (regsvr32) the DLLs in
%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem. To do so, for each dll in
%SystemRoot%/System32\wbem, run the following command:

"regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\wbem\<DLL Name>" (without the quotation
marks)

============== For the event 1091 =================

Based on my research, this is a known issue and there is a hotfix available
to fix this problem.
Event ID 1091 and Event ID 1085 Appear in the Application Event Log
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823608

After installing the hotfix, you must apply the following registry key for
the fix to be effective:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_GPO_BRANDING_WITH_FOLDER_REDIRECTION_KB
888254]

Modify every value under this key to REG_DWORD: 0x00000001

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if you need
further assistance.

Best regards,

Jerry Zhao (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

Andrew H
2005-06-29 10:45:44 UTC
Hi Jerry

Thanks for your suggestions.

For event 9097:

Registering Exchange namespace with WMI had no effect.
Recreating the WBEM repository and rebooting had no effect.
Re-registering the DLL's had no effect, but the following DLL's gave "the
DLL RegisterServer entrypoint was not found" errors when registering:
framedyn.dll, provthrd.dll, wbemcomn.dll, winmgmtr.dll,wmiapres.dll

For event 1091:

Have not requested 823608 from PSS yet, when I saw the article in the KB I
dismissed it because it related to Win 2000 domains. Is it still relevant
for SBS 2003 SP1?

Regards

Andrew
Any suggestions, please?
Jerry zhao (MSFT)
2005-06-30 02:12:02 UTC
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry for my mistake. Yes, the KB 823608 may not suit for your case and
please just ignore it. I did more research on your issue and found that the
two events may be relative.

Please perform the following actions and check how things go after each
steps:

1. At the cmd line enter (run the folowing commands from the
windows\system32\wbem folder and hit enter after each line)
- mofcomp exwmi.mof
- mofcomp -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange wbemcons.mof
- mofcomp -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange smtpcons.mof
- mofcomp exmgmt.mof
-mofcomp rsop.mof
- mofcomp rsop.mfl
- Cd back down one level windows\system32 and run the following
- regsvr32 /n /i userenv.dll
- Reboot system
- After reboot you should no longer see the event id; 9098 however If you
get an event id: 1091 after reboot re-register the security client dll by
running the following command
- regsvr32 /u scecli.dll
- regsvr32 scecli.dll

2. Perform a gpupdate and see if we have fixed the Userenv 1090

3. If not, try the KB Q281888
281888 Error Message " 0x8004100E" When You Run a Windows Management
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281888

Check the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Wbem\Scripting The default namespace
value should have the value data of root\cimv2.

4. Run the following switches:
winmgmt /regserver winmgmt /resyncperf winmgmt -e

5. Reboot and perform a gpupdate, see if 1090 event is cleared.

If you encounter any difficulties or have any concerns, feel free to let me
know. I look forward to your update.

Andrew H
2005-06-30 11:42:47 UTC
Hi Jerry

Following your step 1, and another reboot, the 9097 and 1091 errors seem to
have been fixed (it's been running half an hour now, but I'll keep
monitoring).

Would I be correct in assuming that your mentions of error 1090 in the other
steps were in fact meant to be 1091?

So far so good.

Regards

Andrew
Jerry zhao (MSFT)
2005-07-01 01:58:52 UTC
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your kind response and I'm glad to hear that the problem was
resolved.

Yes, sorry for my writing mistake. It is should be 1091 but not 1090.

Please take your time to monitoring your issue. As always, please do post
back here again if anything we can still be help.