DFS replication between Windows Sever 2003 R2 & SBS
VanBC
2008-07-14 17:23:38 UTC
Hello,

We have a Windows Sever 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2(hostname is Mars)

running on Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4GHz and a Windows Sever 2003
for Small Business Server SP2(hostname is Doublehelix) running on Dual
Core AMD Opteron Processor 270 @ 2.01GHz. They are on the same
sub-network but in different locations and domains(lakescom.net &
blcomfor.local). Doublehelix has most of our important data,
applications and MSSQL services only.

A fault tolerance/disaster recovery solution is necessary for us. If
Doublehelix goes down, users can still access data and run programs on
Mars.

First, we created DFS roots and linked them to share folders on both
servers, and then tried DFS replication group for data collection on
Mars but
failed. The error said “Doublehelix.lakescom.net: the service control
manager
cannot be opened. Access is denied”. We are not sure if the reason is,
that
not all new functionality (snap in's) are showing after doublehelix
upgraded
to SBS R2, specifically the DFS management console.
What would cause this problem?

In our case, is the DFS replication possible and enough for us?
If so, how can we implement it?
Does one domain have to be removed?
Do we need to upgrade one or both servers? If so, which edition (2003
Enterprise/2008)?
Is Severs-Cluster or High-Availability system applicable and necessary?

Any other solution available?

Thanks,
--
VanBC
VanBC's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=53032

http://forums.techarena.in
Miles Li [MSFT]
2008-07-15 10:55:45 UTC
Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Please allow me to confirm that my understandings are correct. As I
understand it, the issue is:

You want to enable the fault tolerance on the important data on the
Doublehelix (Windows SBS 2003 SP2). You need the assistant on the DFS
creation and best practice for the fault tolerance implement.

If I have misunderstood your concerns please feel free to let me know.

Suggestion:
=========================
It should be expected that you will encounter the error when you attempt to
create replication group between the Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows SBS
2003 because SBS server do not have DFS-R (DFS replication) function even
when SBS server is upgraded to R2. This means that you can create DFS
namespace without the replication between them.

Several factors to implement DFS with DFS-R:

1. SBS server can be migrated to the Windows Server 2003 R2 or Windows
Server 2008.

Neither DFS-R nor server cluster is supported on the Windows SBS server.
You have to migrate the SBS server to a Windows Server before you can DFS-R
and server cluster.

2. The DF-R must happen on one forest, or two forests with trust.

As we know the SBS does not support trust, so lakescom.net and
blcomfor.local must be in separated forests without the trust. However,
replication groups cannot span across different forests.

Which kind of disaster recovery options that you should choose is actually
depend on your requirement such as:

- What application needs high availability?
- How long you can tolerate for an application to be out of service?
- How many technical and finance resources that you could put to provide
high availability?

If you only want the data redundancy on the SBS server, you can simply
create RAID on the SBS server for accidently single disk failure. If you
can tolerate very short period of downtime and the applications are
compatible with Windows Server cluster, you may consider server cluster and
use shared storage. Otherwise, if it is acceptable to spend some time to
install a server and restore the data to perform disaster recovery, server
cluster is unnecessary. To increase availability of data, load sharing and
simplified data migration, you can count on the DFS (Distributed File
System) with DFS-R.

=========================
For more information regarding Windows fault tolerance and DFS:
Strategies for Fault-Tolerant Computing
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/performance/faulttoler
ance.mspx

Designing and Deploying File Servers
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/42befce4-7c15-4306-8e
dc-a80b8c57c67d1033.mspx?mfr=true

Distributed File System (DFS)
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/370f16f9-dd08-45dc-8c
f2-d9e2bfeada881033.mspx?mfr=true

Best practices for Distributed File System (DFS)
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/007e4e66-af67-4bfe-bf
70-780412aeed6f1033.mspx?mfr=true

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me
know.

Sincerely,
Miles Li

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
2008-07-15 11:11:56 UTC
VanBC
2008-07-15 16:41:43 UTC
Hi Miles & Steve,

We do have RAID on our SBS, but can't tolerate more than 1/2 hour
downtime to replace mother board, inside power supply, etc.

Can I reset the R2 server as the 2nd DC in the SBS domain and do one
way DFS replication(SBS->R2).

Thanks for your help,

Peter Luo

http://forums.techarena.in
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
2008-07-15 20:38:23 UTC
Post by VanBC
Hi Miles & Steve,
We do have RAID on our SBS, but can't tolerate more than 1/2 hour
downtime to replace mother board, inside power supply, etc.
Can I reset the R2 server as the 2nd DC in the SBS domain and do one
way DFS replication(SBS->R2).
See the first two paragraphs of my original response.

Note that in my experience, DFS (at least pre the Server R2 enhancements
that you can't use) does not work well in environments where there is
heavy editing of the files that live in the DFS share(s).

A small business that cannot tolerate >30 minutes of downtime? Really?
*Everything* relies on the SBS? How did the business function pre-SBS?
--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------
Miles Li [MSFT]
2008-07-16 11:40:58 UTC
Hello Peter,

As I mentioned in my last post, the DFS replication (DFS-R) is not
supported on the SBS 2003 R2.

However, you can set up the DFS with the FRS (File Replication Service) for
the replication between SBS 2003 server and Windows Server 2003. However,
new features such as Remote differential compression (RDC) don't contained
in the FRS.

Monitoring and Troubleshooting the File Replication Service
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/tshootfr
s.mspx

Distributed File System Technology Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/default.
mspx

Hope this helps. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not

amsree
2009-07-01 07:23:45 UTC
acccendently i delete dfs from ad how can i take back the dfs
--
amsree
amsree's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110382.htm

http://forums.techarena.in